Karen Walker’s Favorite Lockdown Recipe – Heavenly Chocolate Sage Cake
This story was posted on Ensemble
We’re asking local fashion designers to share their favorite lockdown recipe, whether it’s delicious homemade baking or the never-ending question of what to make for lunch – so you can find inspiration. to cook.
Today, Karen Walker is sharing a recipe for the divine chocolate sage cakes she makes at her home in Ponsonby, Auckland.
“What I love about this recipe is that although it looks like a cupcake, it’s not quite juvenile or cupcake,” she says.
* Recipe: Vegan dark chocolate and blueberry cakes
* Designer Karen Walker shows how color transforms a room
* New Zealand designer Karen Walker launches bridal line
“The density of the cake; the intensity of the chocolate and the addition of sage make this an extremely grown-up affair.
Chocolate Sage Cakes by The Caker
Makes 15 cupcakes??
150g of 70% dark chocolate buttons
150g soft brown sugar 3 organic eggs
100g ground almonds
100g of Dutch cocoa powder
pinch of sea salt
2 teaspoons of baking powder
½ cup whole milk
10 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
200 ml of fresh cream
15 fresh sage leaves
• Preheat the oven to 180 ° C with rotating heat. Place 12 cupcake wrappers in the holes of a cupcake tray.
• Gently melt chocolate and butter together in a small saucepan. Let cool slightly.
• Pour the cold chocolate butter mixture into the bowl of an electric mixer and mix with the brown sugar. Beat the eggs, incorporating them one at a time. Stir in the almond powder, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder. Mix until just combined. Continue to add the milk. Stop your blender when all the ingredients are combined, do not mix too much. Finally, hand fold the finely chopped sage leaves.
• Divide the dough between the 12 cupcake holes.
• Bake for about 25 minutes or until springy to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cakes cool for 10 minutes before placing them on a cooling rack.
• Meanwhile, pour the crème fraîche into a piping bag (or a plastic bag with a snap hook and cut off the end / corner). When the cupcakes are completely cool, pour a teaspoon of crème fraîche on each one. Finish by placing a sage leaf on top. Serve at room temperature.
• Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to three days.